Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: La Chusa

Karma Sharing Power

Default La Chusa

La Chusa is Spanish for owl, but in the Folklore of the Spanish speaking Southwest "La Chusa" is regarded as a dark, mystical creature. Usually associated with people who practice witchcraft. It is believed, in some places, that some female witches have the knowledge of transforming themselves into large owls. This becomes an option when they are too old to fend for themselves and have no one to take care of them. At night they turn into these very large owls and go out and about hunting and what not, then when the sun comes up they turn back into an old woman again, except for their eyes...once transformed the eyes remain that of an owl.

The sound of the La Chusa is a whistling sound, almost a tune, as if a person were whistling. There is a warning with regards to their whistling...if you hear this whistling and whistle back...she will often chase, attack, or torment you. It's also believed that their visit sometimes brings a forewarning of danger or even death.

La Chusa is unusually large. Although appearing like an owl, these creatures are at least 5 to 6 times larger than the size of an average (large) owl. With powerful beaks, and sharp talons. When they roost on treetops, their size and weight are barely supported by the larger limbs. People have heard the limbs creaking and snapping as these winged creatures roost in the trees.

The story:

I was lucky enough to hear a woman speak about her experience with La Chusa when she was a child. She told the story in a house full of people and as she spoke you could of heard a pin drop.

“It was storming that night at the hacienda. I lived there as a child and we were taken care of by the women of the hacienda, anyway as I was saying, it was storming and we were telling spooky stories when suddenly we all heard it!!! It was a whistling sound, it sounded like a tune. The women began to say it was the sound of the La Chusa. Finally they decided to look out in the courtyard. They tied a rope around the waist of one of the ladies and the rest held on to the rope with the plan that if she was attacked by La Chusa they would quickly drag her back inside. She opened the door and slowly made her way outside. I and the other children could see out in the courtyard and saw one La Chusa after another take turns swooping down into the courtyard. They were huge!! The lady that went out there began to offer them peppers, tomatoes, onions, and cucumbers if they would go away and come back in the morning...they left soon after.
    The next morning at breakfast we began to speak about the night before. Before long we were pointing out that it was storming and we were telling spooky stories and maybe we just let our imaginations get the best of us. Then there was a knocking of the large rings at the front gate, we had visitors. It seemed to hit all of us at once, the lady that had gone outside the night before, repeated what she had told them about coming back in the morning. With eyes bulging we went to the front gate, women opening it with us children standing behind them. There stood three figures in long robes with large hoods pull down far enough to hide their faces (their eyes) holding large empty baskets. One of the women of the hacienda asked them what they wanted and they said that they had come for their peppers, tomatoes, onions, and cucumbers. We could not fill those baskets any faster or any fuller. When the baskets were handed back to them they turned and began to walk away, then one of the women of the hacienda asked who they were...they answered with the sound of the La Chusa. The gates were closed faster than you can imagine!!"

Karma Sharing Power

Default Re: La Chusa

Have you come across any other versions of this story? Also is it tied to any one cultural group?

Karma Sharing Power

sounds almost like mothman..

I'm reading the golden bough and people in different cultures would put a string around the wrists, also in sleep, or around womens waists in childbirth so that their spirit would not loosen from their body so they would not die.

Apprentice
    Karma Sharing Power

My own culture is beset with Anima and their mystic machinations the bruja was said to be able to shape shift and had a supreme command of the assemblage point of those around her. My great grandmother was often spoken of in whispers when I was a child.She had the reputation of a Bruja and healer my aunt also was a healer in the old ways.
    We didn't go to doctors or hospitals when I was a child ( I have a disdain for modern medicine that does not deal with spirit). She rid our home of mice and roaches one day by simply commanding them away.I watched as a 5 year old as thousands of bugs crawled up and out of the house. I was terrified as her eyes where twice thier size when she gazed at me as I watched the bugs move away out into the street.
    After that day I would not approach her unless commanded by my mom or her .When she died as (she lived with us in her old age) crows were heard late into the night....I remember this with starling detail. It provided me with a view of a far more mysterious world then can not be known but experienced..

Apprentice
    Karma Sharing Power

Meditation, Holistic, Spiritual, Awareness, Healing Re: La Chusa

Quote Originally Posted by phantomfyre View Post
    Have you come across any other versions of this story? Also is it tied to any one cultural group?
    La Anima: .......
    all cultures have their counterpart of La Chusa , Carlos Castenada (the modern Brujo) spoke about the art of the woman La Catalina a powerful member of his party who transformed into a large bird and swept him away into the desert of the Sonora after a dramatic encounter with the Bruja during his apprenticeship.This had taken place in September 1968

Karma Sharing Power

I think it is related to mexican witchcraft/ bruja..Santa Muerte is popular there and has a familiar of an owl. The owl is also associated with Lilith, and people would try to scare their children into submission by tales of abduction.

Karma Sharing Power

see post on owls witches aliens here:
    http://www.symbolicliving.com/forum/...8113#post28113

Apprentice
    Karma Sharing Power

0wl also Buo
    Zeus had an owl which acted as a spy
    once refusing to comply to orders from zeus
    or is this confusion with the cr0w turned from white to black?
    ore reading http://books.google.com.mx/books?id=...20zeus&f=false

Apprentice
    Karma Sharing Power

an owl touched my forehead [3rd eye]
    at 3am in prayer

the owl is the oracle of bohemian grove members

Other legends of the Witch Bird beg to differ. According to these tidbits of folklore, La Lechuza can be killed or warded off. Like most creatures that serve the darkness, the Lechuza hates salt (renowned for its purity). An unbroken line or circle of salt should ward her off (either table salt or sea salt will work, but it must be free of any impurities, like iodide). Saying the “Hail Mary” backwards (in Spanish) will cause her to flee. Cussing at the creature in Spanish will also drive the Witch Bird away. Some of the older tales suggest that a Mexican shaman can walk out to where the Lechuza is supposed to be and, after he recites a specific prayer, the creature will drop dead out of the tree. It is recommended that one fall back on four basic remedies if La Lechuza comes after them: Prayer, tying seven knots into a piece of string or a rope, hiring a witch (again, a curandera), and finally, blasting the creature with a shotgun while she has taken the form of a bird. Folklore varies widely, so knowing all of this may prove to be invaluable when hunting this creature.

Apprentice
    Karma Sharing Power

OK

La Lechusa
    Here is a music video about the Mexican Legend of Lachusa EL BUO [masculine]
    [a bruja told me I AM the owl] ... if you don't like Cranberries music just watch the story
    it accurately represents the legend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUFPooqKllA

The Curandera told me when I related the story of being touched in the forehead by the left wing
    of the owl at 3am during ritual vigil that there is no question I AM the male owl [EL Buo]
    this is the evil god that Bohemian Grove witches honor with blood and sex rites.

In the Amazon of Peru there is a southern version of this Great White Owl
    which screams like the witch [female laChusa] when she is in a rage] the scream is vividly described
    in legend and means a family member will die.
    So it was.

She is the killer, he is the sacrifice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information