Thread: The Snake (Cobra) in a Dream

Karma Sharing Power

Sacred Sound, Yoga, Manifestation The Snake (Cobra) in a Dream

Hello Folks,

Can anybody help me with this? For quite a while now, I have been dreaming of snakes in different roles for some time. I have tried to figure out the meaning of these roles and what I am being told or revealed.... sometimes it's difficult to find a meaning that resonates within me. As an African woman growing up with a (from childhood) programmed mind in fear of snakes (especially the cobras and mambas), taken me quite a while to rip off these layers of fear. I still have a huge amount of respect for the reptiles. they radiate beauty, but at the same time you just cannot ignore this feeling of latent danger which written all over them....they just command respect!

in order to understand myself more and come to terms with my spiritual progress (I stumbled on Kundalini yoga and I enjoy the feeling I get from it. somehow I have embedded this concept of the rising snake deep in my brain, and try to visualise it happening during the asanas.
    I am hoping for a time in which I will be able to embrace the symbol of the snake in my visions or dreams without having any feelings of fear. my only problem is ...will I be able to discern in these situations whether it plays a negative or positive role , and how to unravel the message behind these dreams (or visions).
    last night for a example, I dreamt of an old love and in the dream we still both felt the nearness to one another... I was waiting for him to take the definite step and ask if we could come together. I guess he was also waiting for that from me.. but he had family members around him who were looking on, watching what steps we would take, The dream found us both suddenly in some form of backyard by sunny weather with a mounted clothes' line(for washing).. the grass had not been cut, it was a bit overgrown.. suddenly a long baby snake fell from nowhere and slithered on the grass, and finally displayed itself in the typical cobra pose, deep shimmering black colour against an equally impeccable white belly...I was trying to figure out whether I should be afraid or not. I finally woke up. I would really appreciate some constructive comments on this one. I am not very conversant with the symbolism of snakes. i just do not want my programmed fear of snakes to restrict me from grasping the deeper truth that this sacred symbol teaches...

☥ Self-proclaimed Tree Hugger, Yogi wannabe, spiritual Celtaur's Avatar
    Canada, it's warming up. The sun is shining. The birds are singing.
    Karma Sharing Power

Default Re: The Snake (Cobra) in a Dream

Since you saw the snake and didn't immediately have a negative reaction, but instead asked yourself what you should feel, I think it says a lot about how you are aware, and conscious of your choices. In our culture snakes have been labeled evil as you well know, which points to duality of good and evil, choice. However, I would suspect the reason snakes were considered evil and used as a symbol in the story of Adam/Eve may have it's roots in primal associations of the snake of bigger proportions than a grass-garden snake (yet garden itself in this regard brings up Garden of Eden association again).

I've been asking myself this very question recently as well. In terms of Kundalini why the snake, if it can be deemed evil, then why does it relate to higher consciousness. Well, I think snake is just a symbol in this case because of it's movement, back and forth like how a snake slithers, and that's what the Kundalini does, it's a flow of energy. It's not really a snake, the kundalini, it's just the snake's movement resembles the energy movement. I would also suspect that since a snake is labeled a "lowly" creature as it is bound to the ground, the symbolism of it rising up relates to consciousness rising from the ground up to a higher plane.

It's also interesting the snake was black and white in your dream, again this is the duality, good/evil, choice question right there.

I'd also have to reacquaint myself with the moses staff being thrown down and turned into a snake and what that means.

I suspect snakes were viewed as a symbol for life. Like the staff of hermes/mercury with two snakes ascending in the DNA cycle - that's a clear symbol of life. Where there is DNA, life and thus consciousness exists. I think snakes have been given a bad-rap with people applying a one-sided view of what their symbolism means, but they go much deeper than that. I think they represent the fabric of life itself, they have life, movement, desire, will, and make decisions, although basic instinctual ones, I do think they represent a kind of evolution of consciousness born from the earth, rooted in the world with the potential to ascend to higher consciousness.

Remember, hermes/mercury is messenger of the gods, his symbol is the staff with two snakes (caduceus), and is used as a symbol of the healthcare field.

The Meaning of Life is to Eat the Apple - Me

Wisdom comes from asking questions

Nothing really matters, love is all we need. - Madonna

I predict the weather will be unpredictable this year - Sylvia Browne

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind - Gandhi

If it doesn't make sense, it's usually not true. - Judge Judy

Karma Sharing Power

The snake can kill and it can heal. Those who are anima or emotionally-based are killed by the snake. It is caused by an overload of Red/Kundalini/Passion energy. It is too much of a good thing.

While those who are animus or intellectually-based are healed by the snake. The Passion balances out the intellect to make it compassionate, caring, and giving. Then wholeness or "Holiness" takes place.

It is a very simple formula composed of two human elements and two divine or spiritual elements.

None of these elements are either good or bad in and of themselves. It is when they are pushed to their extremes that creates "bad" situations and circumstances.

Anima - The Feminine qualities of caring, giving and nurturing within the human psyche.
    Animus - The Masculine qualities of logic, understanding, and justice within the human psyche.

Divine Masculine - The White Energy - Grace, Rain, Lightning. It falls from Father Sky.
    Divine Feminine - The Red Energy - Passion, Kundalini, Snake. It rises up from Mother Earth.

Here is are the results of blending these 4 elements

Anima + Divine Feminine = Kundalini Overload or Insanity (Medusa)
    Anima + Divine Masculine = Wholeness or Holiness ( Hail Mary, full of Grace.)

Animus + Divine Feminine = Wholeness or Holiness (Die before you die or Killing of Ego. The hero'a quest.)
    Animus + Divine Masculine = Death (Thor or Zeus' lightning bolt that punishes or kills men. Plato's Atlantis)

Balance is key.
    Too much of a good thing leads to either insanity or death.
    To find wholeness, it is important to know thyself.
    To help others find wholeness, it is important to know thy neighbor or both sides of the spectrum.

nventr

Karma Sharing Power

That's interesting. A long time ago, years ago, I woke up in the middle of the night hissing, with my tongue travelling from side to side inside my mouth like a snake. It was Ve VERY weird. I wasn't alarmed though, and just went back to sleep. What was that all about? I've never known what to make of it.

Karma Sharing Power

Sacred Sound, Yoga, Manifestation Re: The Snake (Cobra) in a Dream

Quote Originally Posted by nventr View Post
    The snake can kill and it can heal. Those who are anima or emotionally-based are killed by the snake. It is caused by an overload of Red/Kundalini/Passion energy. It is too much of a good thing.

While those who are animus or intellectually-based are healed by the snake. The Passion balances out the intellect to make it compassionate, caring, and giving. Then wholeness or "Holiness" takes place.

It is a very simple formula composed of two human elements and two divine or spiritual elements.

None of these elements are either good or bad in and of themselves. It is when they are pushed to their extremes that creates "bad" situations and circumstances.

Anima - The Feminine qualities of caring, giving and nurturing within the human psyche.
    Animus - The Masculine qualities of logic, understanding, and justice within the human psyche.

Divine Masculine - The White Energy - Grace, Rain, Lightning. It falls from Father Sky.
    Divine Feminine - The Red Energy - Passion, Kundalini, Snake. It rises up from Mother Earth.

Here is are the results of blending these 4 elements

Anima + Divine Feminine = Kundalini Overload or Insanity (Medusa)
    Anima + Divine Masculine = Wholeness or Holiness ( Hail Mary, full of Grace.)

Animus + Divine Feminine = Wholeness or Holiness (Die before you die or Killing of Ego. The hero'a quest.)
    Animus + Divine Masculine = Death (Thor or Zeus' lightning bolt that punishes or kills men. Plato's Atlantis)

Balance is key.
    Too much of a good thing leads to either insanity or death.
    To find wholeness, it is important to know thyself.
    To help others find wholeness, it is important to know thy neighbor or both sides of the spectrum.

nventr
    explains well the dangers of kundalini as well as spiritual principles, well done.
    It is said the western mind is not well suited for it, to understand properly one would safely have to be under the tutealage of a practiced yodg and can take over 30 years. It is just not one of those things that people can honestly teach themselves for the most part and is linked to the reptilian brain. Tantra is much older and safer of a practice to go it alone.

Karma Sharing Power

I’m glad you liked this. It boils all the spiritual knowledge I have absorbed into a simple and elegant formula. Like Einstein’s E=MC2, the energies of the inner being can be simply explained. Once you see this, all the myths and parables become understandable on the deepest level.

I agree that kundalini should never be self taught. The agony people like Krisnamurti suffer is avoidable and totally unnecessary. Plus it causes an early death caused by the stress on the body.

I’m wondering what is the difference between kundalini practice and tantra practice?
    First we would have to define Tantra. I am assuming the spiritual or top of the tower tantra and not the carnal or bottom of the tower tantra.

When you say tantra are you meaning that the White Energy/Grace would be put into motion first?
    The road runs both ways.

What are you creating?

Thread Information